Discover the most beautiful beach on the Mexican Caribbean – Isla Contoy! This beautiful island is the beginning of the second largest reef in the world where you will have the opportunity to snorkel.
Private Whale Shark Tour
- Recommended Pickup Time: As you go in a private tour you may choose your own time but we recommend from 4.45 am in Tulum to 7 am depending on the other places of departure, exact time will be confirmed the evening before the tour. For departures from Cozumel, the meeting point will be at the pier of Playa del Carmen, right in front of Sr. Frogs restaurant.
- What to bring: Hat, biodegradable sunscreen, sunglasses, beach clothes, towels, some cash for souvenirs if needed and to pay the balance due for your tour, we charge 5% extra for the use of any credit card.
- Final checkout will be in Mexican pesos. USD prices are approximate
- Private Tour Price per boat | Ages 4+
- From Isla Mujeres
- From Holbox Island
- From Cancun
- From Playa del Carmen
- From Riviera Maya
- From Cozumel
- From Tulum
- No Pickup Needed
Private Whale Shark Tours in Cancún & Beyond
- Transportation from the lobby of your hotel, condo or agreed meeting point.
- Light breakfast getting at the marina
- All the equipment for the excursion swimming with whale sharks
- Snorkel Gear. You may bring yours if you prefer.
- Compulsory Life jackets (it is now forbidden to use a wetsuit during the tour).
- Food and beverages on board.
- We provide motion sickness pills if you get easily sea sick but only for people not allergic to them.
The fee of the whale shark marine park ($10 per person to be paid in cash). We guarantee there is no extra charge at all apart from that.
- Cancellations made from 45 to 8 days prior to the tour receive 100% of deposit back.
- Cancellations made from 8 to 2 days prior to the tour receive 75 % of deposit back.
- Cancellations made less than 36 hours prior to the tour get no refund but you will get the opportunity to do the tour any other day during the season with no extra charge.
- Cancellations made after midday the day before the tour get no refund at all or opportunity to do it again with no charge.
Itinerary Private Tour
We try to start earlier than other companies in order to be within the first ones to get where the whale sharks are and avoid the crowds. We will take you from your hotel, condo or meeting point to a place north Cancun in front of Isla Mujeres called Puerto Juarez where our private marina is and where our boats are docked. From Holbox island we do not go to Isla Mujeres as it is too far away, the itinerary is different, please ask us about it.
Once there you will receive a briefing on the tour and be provided with complementary coffee, fruit juice and sweet rolls. Once everything has been explained and all of your questions have been answered we will board the boat and head out to sea.
The trip out to where the whale sharks generally congregate takes about 45 minutes. As you will go private you will be given the opportunity to swim at least 3 or 4 times with the whale sharks or even more if the conditions are perfect and the captain decides it is safe to do it. People take it in turn two by two in the water with our guide and wearing a life jacket which we provide and is compulsory to wear. You may as well bring with you your own cameras or video recorder or rent a Go Pro with us for $55 with memory card included, any way our guide will help you taking pictures and videos with it during the tour.
After swimming with the whale sharks our crew will take you to a reef near Contoy Island or Isla Mujeres depending on which one is nearer the place where we will find the whale sharks on that day, once there you will be provided with purified water, soft drinks, a ceviche and be given time to snorkel. Before that and any time during the way sandwiches, water and soft drinks will be available aboard and the guide will offer them to you. Vegan and vegetarian food are available if asked for please at the moment you send the deposit to confirm your tour.
All of our boats have 2 engines, an emergency toilet and are without any doubt the safest and fastest of the area, they are up to 33 feet long which is the longest allowed for this tour. They have a covering to protect you from the sun, comfortable seats as well as ladders to provide easy access in and out of the water.
The spaces per boat are limited to 10 people, we guarantee 100% availability from May 17th – September 17th if you book online. In case the weather does not allow us to go on the tour on that day, which happens very seldom, we will put it off until another day. If for any reason you can’t participate anymore in the tour due to the first cancellation we will refund 100% of your payment.
There will be no tours running on each day 30th. May 30th, June 30th, July 30th, and August 30th will be days off.